Sunday, February 7, 2016

Discouraging CT Scan


In my last blog update, I mentioned that I was going for a CT-scan on January 28.  Unfortunately, the results of that scan are not encouraging.  The cancer has grown in my abdomen and around my lungs.

 I have not felt as well lately, part of the reason being that the cancer has caused me to have more fluid around my lungs and in my abdomen.  Eating has become more difficult.  Even though I spread my eating out over the day and eat small amounts, I often feel too full to eat.  My stomach just won’t handle very much.  I get very nauseated.   I try hard to eat right, but the food often just doesn’t stay down.  With the fluid around my lungs, some nights I cough a lot even to the point of throwing up.  I get out of breath when I exert myself.  I also find it more difficult to breathe at night.

We met with my oncologist and decided to discontinue my current chemotherapy regimen.  We agreed the best approach going forward is to try to find a clinical trial for me.  We have identified one potential trial at my oncologist’s office that will be open on February 22.  We have also scheduled an appointment on February 9 with an oncologist at the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center at Georgetown Medical Center.  He has a few trials that he wants to discuss with us.  I hope to qualify for one of these trials as soon as possible.

To keep my spirits up, I am still trying to walk as often as I can.  Also, I had a really enjoyable weekend with Stacey, Stephanie, Lee and four of our grandchildren.
I was able to join them for the play Phantom of the Opera.  My family support means so much to me.  It really lifts my spirits.  Whether through telephone calls, visits or texts/e-mails.

I am including a quote from the Ensign magazine titled “The Will Within”.  It is about running, which has been an important part of my life.   It reads as follows:
“Each of us is a runner in the race of life.  Comforting is the fact that there are many runners.  Reassuring is the knowledge that our eternal Scorekeeper is understanding.  Challenging is the truth that each must run.  But you and I do not run alone.  The vast audience of family, friends, and leaders will cheer our courage, will applaud our determination as we rise from our stumbling and pursue our goal.  The race of life is not for sprinters running on a level track.  The course is marked by pitfalls and checkered with obstacles…”
I liked this quote because it recognizes the obstacles that exist in life and the importance of support of family and friends.  I really appreciate all the love and support that I receive from all of you.  Thanks for your help, support and prayers.

19 comments:

  1. Marilynn, I'm sad to hear this, but I also believe in miracles and in you. We are continually praying for you and the kids always remember you in their prayers too. It's so sweet. Keep going and I hope the appointment goes well on Tuesday!!! My fingers, toes, legs, arms are crossed! Everything that I can cross is crossed!! Sending my love, Julie Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart hurts for you, Steve and all your kids and grandkids. I will pray that you will qualify for a trial. You are an inspiration to us Marilynn. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear of this discouraging news. We will continue to pray for you and your family and will also pray that you will qualify for a trial. We all love you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying for a trial treatment for you soon and for its success! You are such a wonderful model of strength, courage, love, faith, and determination, even in the face of so many challenges and feeling so ill. My heart is with you! I believe in miracles and no one deserves the miracle of healing more than you do. Sending you love, warm hugs, and shared hope! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, Marilyn! Our love and prayers continue with you. Love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you shared your discouraging news, and then end your blog post with an uplifting quote. You continue to inspire me with your ability to find something to be grateful for when you are faced with difficult news. We will pray that you find a perfect match for you in a clinical trial. Love to you and Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilynn, it was so wonderful seeing you this past week with you husband and daughter .. I'm sorry the news from your c t scan- you are such a strong and beautiful woman . I know what you've been through these past years - your patience and fortitude inspire me every day. My husband and I pray for you and your family. Love you dear friend ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe in miracles also just as Theresa stated, I am so grateful for your "faith" and the feelings you have felt that you are not "alone". You are not only loved by your wonderful family and friends but you are known and loved by our Savior and our Heavenly Father. Thank you for your faith, determination and goodness.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so very sad to read the news of your CT scan. I am praying for a miracle with a clinical trial.
    Please know we love you. We are cheering and praying for you. You have such stamina and courage.
    I love you,
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im sorry and saddened by the scan. I am hopeful and praying for the clinical trial, and I'm happy to see the pics and read about the wonderful moments you have with your family and loved ones. Thank you for sharing the quote. I love you, aunt Marilynn and am praying for you always.
    Love, lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. Know that you are in my daily thoughts and prayers. The collage of family photos is on the front of my fridge and, as I see you all, each day I say a prayer of healing and of peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such an amazing example of facing difficulties with grace. We will pray that you will find a clinical trial soon. Thanks for sharing your sweet testimony yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your family photo is absolutely priceless. What a wonderful experience to have been together and that you got to see extended family and such. Your endurance puts me to shame. Your desire to be in shape, to walk, even though it is difficult, your love of running. Wow, I could go on and on but I will just say you are an amazing example for me. I always pray for you Marilyn. I hate that you are going through so much and am so impressed with your faith, strength, and pro-active spirit! I hope that you are able to be put on a study soon and that you will get miraculous results. I know your family feels your love and your love of life because it shines through all you say and do. Prayers always, with love, Dee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marilyn, You are such an inspiration. Even though you are discouraged, disheartened, and probably a little nervous about what's ahead, you are hopeful, faithful, and so strong and positive. I hope you get into a trial too and that there is something miraculous ahead for you. No matter how tough this gets, you find ways to be happy. We are praying for you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marilyn, Frank and I just read your post, we are so sorry for this latest news. You and Steve are in our prayers, of course, and with special prayers that you find the right trial. I love your expression of comfort that being with your family brings. The quote is wonderful! With love, Frank and Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marilyn, you are a strength to me! I hope that you feel the love that so many have for you. You are in my prayers everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marilynn is my little sister and my heart is breaking because of the pain she has had to endure. She as always been there for me my whole life! When we both had young families we made a pact that we would put away $5.00 a week so we could see our older brother Paul, whom we both adored. He was living in Australia, and it was our goal to help pay for an airline ticket so he could come to America and see us. Sure enough, he came! I am not sure how much we actually saved up, but we were so thrilled to spend time with him. Marilynn is always thinking of others. I believe this is the reason she was so willing to spend hours doing dishes for a large family. (12 children in all!) She was looking for ways to show support for her mother, and the rest of us siblings were happy to let her be of service. When I was 15 years old mom announced she was having twins. I told my mother I was tired of taking care of all our younger brothers and sisters. Marilynn stepped right in and helped mom with the twins every day! As I have said before, Marilynn is my HERO and my tears are flowing with love and admiration for her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marilynn, I am so sorry to hear the latest news and I hope you get accepted into the right trial for you. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. You are a strong woman and an inspiration to me.
    Dell Timis

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry to hear that you got the results you go from your last scan. I do believe that anything can happen and I hope that things turn around for you in a positive way. I'm glad to see that you have your grandkids around to help cheer you up at least! Thinking of you during this time.

    ReplyDelete