Sunday, August 16, 2015

Reaction to New Chemo Treatment

August 16, 2015


The first treatment with the new chemo regimen turned out to be quite difficult.  I felt pretty well on Wednesday, when the chemo was given, as well as Thursday and Friday, except I vomited more frequently than with the prior regimen.  However, on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, I started to feel very sick.  This was surprising as I had been on a bike ride Saturday morning, even walking half mile with my bike because the chain broke. My body ached, my legs felt heavy and were difficult to move.  I felt like a 90 year old lady.  I continued to experience quite a bit of nausea and my head ached.  My mouth sores returned.  (I was so happy that the sores had been gone for more than a week) Overall, it was extremely difficult and discouraging.  I cried and asked how will I be able to live with this pain.

Ready for a Bike Ride BEFORE my chain broke!

My second treatment, which I took this Wednesday (August 12), seems to be going a bit better.  On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, the pain was much less and more tolerable.  We went to our lake house, and I walked 3 miles each day on Thursday and Friday.  We walk in the mornings, as that is when I feel so much better.  On Saturday, we had a group of singles from our Church (approximately 50) that we had worked with for the past several years.  I was able to spend some time on the dock with them.  It has been fun being at the lake, but it is hard to do the lake activities, like getting in and out of the boat.  I am not as strong, and my mobility is reduced, especially later in the day.  Also, it disappointments me that I cannot play all the games with the kids, and that I am not able to play as well with my grandchildren.   

My children bought me this outfit to wear during chemo. It is cold in the room. The beautiful roses are from Steve 

This past week my spirits have been lifted by my children’s visits.  Troy, Katie (Troy’s girl-friend) and Brooklyn (Troy’s daughter, our granddaughter), as well as Stacey, Brock (Stacey’s husband) and Justin, have all been visiting me.  We have had so much fun together.

Even though I did not feel well, I am so thankful for being blessed to be able to do the things described above.  I thank my Heavenly Father every night for all the blessings he has given me.  For example, Sunday night when I was so sick (3 am) I was only able to sleep when Steve gave me a sweet tender Priesthood blessing.  The blessing described Heavenly Father’s love for me and that he knew how much I was suffering.  After the blessing, I was finally able to sleep.  I felt peaceful and calm.  This allowed me to begin to feel better again.

12 comments:

  1. You are my hero as you fight against great odds in order to enjoy life. I hope this week ahead is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure love you. Amiss all of this, you still find the strength to write thank you notes to me. You are incredible and such an inspiration. Hang in there. Sending more prayers your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful to know that angels are attending you and strengthening you. You are a woman of great strength and faith. I so love and admire you.
    Love,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marilynn
    Thank you for this blog. Thank you for sharing your pains , your sorrows and your joys. Know that you are so loved and because of your willingness to share your thoughts and feelings we each can reflect on our individual lives and strive to have your simple sweet faith.
    I love you🌻
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The I love you was supposed to end with this🌻 not ??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well anyway it is a daisy but it keeps ending up putting two question marks. Anyway I love you
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been so ill, but yet remain positive. I appreciate the way you are able to share with all of us. I believe each person that reads your blog is inspired by you and Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Marilynn I am hoping and praying everyday for you to be feeling stronger and to ease the pain that you've been having with the chemo treatments. You are such a beautiful and inspiring friend. Love you💟

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sweet Marilynn, I am so sorry that this round of chemo has been so painful and difficult! You are such an inspiration to me of strength and faith as you face these daunting challenges. "You are the wind beneath my wings!" My thoughts and prayers go with you that the pain and nausea may subside, your strength return and that you may feel wrapped in the arms of all those who love you! Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  10. All our love through this walk across the plains.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Marilynn and everyone else on this post.
    I feel so grateful to have this way to stay updated on what's happening with you. I wish we could see updates like this almost every single day. I feel impatient to know more but realize that you can't give us minute by minute updates. We are so impressed with what a great fighter you and how even while you're experiencing all this chemo and intense treatments and you are walking 3 miles and riding (pushing) your bicycle! We are full of love and support and all of our prayers are for you to have even more of this strength.
    We love you very much.
    Your brother, Ron

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Marilynn
    We are all learning from your sweet faith and strength. Knowing that we have a loving Heavenly Father who is so aware of each of us and will strengthen us as we ask Him for help is so comforting and by your sharing of your experiences....the hard and the wonderful...each of our lives are being blessed and strengthened.
    Thank you and know that many many prayers are being offered up for you and your wonderful family.
    Love your Sister Tammy

    ReplyDelete