Friday, April 4, 2014

Long Time No Chat

It has been awhile since I have written anything on my blog, as there has not been any major news.  I continue to heal from my surgery.  I am not having any problems swallowing and there have been no leaks where my stomach now connects to my esophagus in my neck.

However, I am finding the recovery challenging.  With all these internal changes, I am trying to adjust to a short esophagus and small stomach.  I am not able to eat or drink very much.  I constantly have acid reflux and nausea.  I am still trying to figure out what to eat.  I am very low on energy.  I have gone back to the gastroenterologist.  I also visited a natural doctor and dietician.   We are still trying to find the right food that is both nutritious and reasonably good tasting.  I have not been able to eat the high calorie foods as they cause diarrhea. I am losing some weight, which makes me concerned.

I am still walking most days, even though I don’t have much energy.  I usually enjoy walking 3-4 miles a day.  I walk from our Penderbrook townhouse to our new house that is being built.  I hope eventually to get back to running, but it will be awhile.  I am reminded of where I was before the cancer diagnosis, as described below.



Last year on November 2, 2013, I felt so good about my marathon training.  I had run my 20-mile workout for the day and felt good about the upcoming race on November 16, 2013.  I had trained hard.  Troy, Steve, Stacey had also all trained hard.  We were all ready and excited for the race that we had worked so hard for.  Unfortunately when I got the cancer diagnosis on November 11, I was not able to run the marathon: however,  I was able to run the last 8 miles with them.




But as I reflect back on my life now, the marathon race preparation was preparing me to be able to handle what would be the next year of my life.  It took a lot of hard work and determination to prepare for the race and now I am able to have this same determination as I recover from my esophagus surgery. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you are having nausea and all that and finding it hard to figure out what to eat. That has to be so hard. On the plus side it is encouraging that you are not having any leaking or any other complications! Thanks for posting this update to let us know how you are doing! We love you Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting an update. What an inspiring realization to reflect on your marathon training and recognize the blessing a strong body is to your facing this huge challenge. You are a great example. You are loved and admired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you ran that far with all you're going through. You're amazing Marilynn! We keep thinking of you and hope you're getting better every day! Love you! Julie Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilynn, I love the way you compare how your training for a marathon, with the trial you are enduring now. Our brother Ron, reflected on how this training also helped prepare you for this latest challenge in your life. You have always been willing to take on challenges and made a commitment to see it through. You are a strong women of great faith. I believe it is your faith that will see you through this difficult process.
    Love, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had 2 use to words to describe you I would say determined and Christlike. I love you. I appreciate your example of determination. This post is a great example of my sweet sister.
    Love,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete