Thursday, June 11, 2015

June 2015 Update

I am sorry to begin writing in my blog again.  I had stopped when things had gone well after my esophagus surgery a year ago in January 2014.  Unfortunately, my esophageal cancer has returned.  Based on a biopsy performed in May, the doctors found the same esophageal cancer in my liver.


To catch everyone up, after my surgery in January 2014, I gradually made good progress in my recovery.  Although, it required adjusting to a new life style of eating less and more frequently, I was able to regain my strength.  In fact, on July 4, I ran a 5 K race in Culpepper, Virginia with my family.  It was challenging for me because I have shortness of breath, but it was fun.  Although, I did not run as fast as I did before my surgery, I was able to run pretty well.  At the end of September, Steve and I travelled to Ireland and Amsterdam.  Steve had business meetings in Amsterdam, and we were able to spend 4 days with our son, Justin, in Cork, Ireland.  We were also able to visit Eoghan and his parents at their home.  We had a wonderful trip, and I felt pretty well. 




In February 2015, during my regular physical check ups, my internal medicine doctor noticed slightly elevated liver enzymes, but overall I was feeling well at that time.  In fact, our family had signed up, and had begun training, for the Salt Lake City half marathon in April.   As a precaution, the oncologist had me get a CT-Scan and a PET scan.  These did not identify any tumors.  From March to April, my liver levels continued to elevate, and I began not to feel as well.  I was tested for every possible liver ailment, but none was identified.  Also, an MRI did not identify any tumors.  In May, the doctors sent me for a biopsy of my liver, which found the same esophageal cancer.   Steve and I, as well as the doctors, were very surprised with this finding in light of the prior scans.  I was very disappointed, as I had been trying hard to take good care my body.  The doctors have said they cannot explain why I got esophageal cancer based on my life style.  They just say I got the rotten end of the deal.

We are now back dealing extensively with the oncologists.  We have been referred to a new oncologist, who specializes in gastrointestinal cancers.  I will begin chemotherapy next week.  I recognize that I need to receive the chemo; however, I have always been concerned about the side effects.  I appreciate having good medical care, as well as wonderful family and friend support in this treatment.

Currently, I don’t feel well most days.  My whole body aches.   I often feel nauseated and experience headaches and severe back and abdominal pains.  I stay busy with daily activity, especially attending many doctors’ appointments and the other daily activities.  It has been good to stay busy.  Also, I still try to do some activities that are enjoyable.  For example, last Saturday, Steve and I rode bicycles for 14 miles, and I still try to run/walk a few days a week.



I recognize that there are many people affected by my cancer.  I am grateful for Steve, my dear sweet husband.  He is a rock.  It has been great that he has been able to attend all the doctors’ appointments, and help research the best plan forward.  My children are the best cheerleaders and provide so much support to me.  It must be so hard on them.  My extended family members are such a comfort to me.  I have a close family of 10 siblings, and we love and care for each other.  I am especially close to my sisters who mean so much to me.  Steve’s family is also a great support.  I also have relied on my friends, including great church member support.

I have had so many spiritual experiences and so much comfort and peace during my entire time with my cancer.  I am so thankful for the knowledge I have that Heavenly Father lives.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt he lives and loves me and knows me personally.  I have felt angels by my side.  One particular time was 1 ½ months ago when I was getting an MRI.   I had to be still on the table for 1-½ hours while the test was being given.  The nurse would come in to check on me and see how I was doing.  One time she came in and said, “Oh are you in a lot of pain” as she saw tears in my eyes.  I said no and asked her if she believed in God and proceeded to tell her that I had just felt angels around me.  They were near me, and it was as if they were trying to fix the problem.  She wiped the tears from my eyes, as I could not move. I know I am being blessed to be able to handle whatever it is that is ahead of me.  I will continue be a fighter and press on.

I want to say again I really appreciate the love and support of our family and friends.  We have received strength from your prayers and fasting on my behalf, especially the family and Church fast this past Sunday.  Thanks so much for your kindness and love.


I plan to update the blog periodically, as sometimes I don’t feel well enough to talk with each of you.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Aunt Marilynn, thank you for sharing this. You've been in my daily prayers since my mom shared the news with me the other week. This is so hard. We will keep praying for you. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the update and your testimony. God gives us trials to mold us to become more like him and you are learning heaven right now. Thank you for sharing. We are praying. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Marilynn,
    I am having trouble getting this posted. This is the 3rd try and so hopefully it will work. Just not tech savvy enough.
    Thank you for sharing your tender feelings and thoughts. It means so much to me!
    You know...you have always been my "Angel". Mom always told me how you would run home from school everyday when Tom and I were young to take care of us. Then when I was a teenager, you would come pick me up every Saturday morning and take me do BYU to go swimming. Then as I became a college student, I came down and spent the summer after my freshmen year at BYU, and worked in downtown Houston. What a wonderful summer that was! And now presently you have been my "Angel" as you have allowed my to help you with all your new house decisions....this has been such a blessing for me! And so I thank the "Angels" attending to you now because you are the most deserving person ever!
    I love you and so look forward to being together next week!
    Your Sister, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We think of you often and pray for you with each prayer. We are so grateful you have started to blog again, hearing the details and hearing your feelings really help us not feel so far away. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read the experience Marilynn shared of being visited by Angels I knew in an instant who three of those Angels were:
    Mom, our dear sister, Betti Naomi, and Grandma Harris.

    When Grandma Harris was aged and living alone in her big old home, Marilynn spent hours that would be impossible to count with her. Marilynn was her true Angel through many years. I can’t even begin to imagine how much Grandma Harris appreciates that.

    I have no doubt that among all those Angels attending dear Marilynn, the 3 of them were there. I love how this story shows how close the world that we occupy is to the world where our loved ones live and how they are aware of things like this.

    I love my great big family with all my heart! When all of us feel so helpless in being able to do more than fast and pray for Marilynn's well-being, it helps so much knowing that we really do have Angels who know what we need.

    With love,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete