Monday, June 15, 2015

A Stent and the Beginning of Chemo

On June 5, I had another CT scan.  The scan identified a blocked bile duct.  The doctors cannot determine what is causing the obstruction – tumors or some other blockage.  The current plan is to insert a stent to open the bile duct at the same time when they are installing my port for the chemotherapy.  This will be done on Tuesday, June 16.  I will then begin chemo on Thursday, June 18.

A little background on how these events came to pass.  When I first heard about the bile duct blockage, I suggested that the procedure be done at the same time as the port installation.  The gastroenterologist said that was not possible, as the procedures were performed at two different hospitals by different surgeons.  We were referred to the gastroenterologist who specializes in this surgery.  When we met him, he said he had studied my information, and he had concluded that the two procedures should be combined.   I smiled at Steve with an “I told you so.”  This doctor, however, had to convince the oncologist, and work the logistics, to have a common hospital location.  Miraculously, that all occurred on Friday afternoon, June 12.  I had personally prayed that the oncologist’s heart would be softened so he would agree to all of these changes.  This is another example of Heavenly Father’s tender mercies for me.


Since the recent cancer diagnosis, I have had two Priesthood blessings in addition to the numerous Priesthood blessings Steve has given me.  One was from my home teacher, John Doolittle, and the other was from Nelson Burton, our friend and kind medical advisor (retired heart surgeon).  Both blessings provided wonderful comfort and peace.  They both blessed me to receive strength during the various procedures and treatments, with a special emphasis on this week’s procedures.  I felt an overwhelming love and peace from these blessings.   President Scott Wheatley, our Stake President and good friend, also gave a Priesthood blessing to Steve.    Both Steve and I feel very grateful for the strength of Priesthood blessings in our lives.

4 comments:

  1. Can I just say - I really love you. As I read your updates, I wish I could just help to pick up some of your burden carry it for you. Hopefully knowing that you are always in our family's prayers and thoughts will help you as you go through all of this.

    I REALLY love the 'I told you so' moment! May you have MANY of those - as well as MANY tender mercies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved your "I told you so moment". I feel you are such an example of being "grateful" for the little tender mercies you are being given. Thank you for your example

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! Thank you for the updates. You are such a strong woman, and we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a strong woman! Please know we are praying that you will continue to find strength and comfort. We love you!

    ReplyDelete