Saturday, October 3, 2015

Challenges Continue, But Chemo Having Some Positive Effect


Two weeks ago, I had my one-week break from taking chemo.  I was excited with the thought of feeling better.  Steve and I were even considering a trip together.  Unfortunately, my body did not cooperate.  I felt sick all week.  I experienced a lot of nausea, with vomiting every day.  I had some headaches and body pains.  Thus, we stayed at home for the week.  Even though I did not feel well, we tried to do a few different things.  We took a short bike ride on the W&OD trail at Leesburg.  Our children had given Steve some coupons for kayaking on the Potomac River in DC.  We enjoyed one hour on a kayak, and had lunch sitting outside the Dean & DeLuca store in Georgetown.  We took a brief walk around Georgetown. 



This week I returned to the chemo treatments on Wednesday.  When we saw the doctor on Tuesday, he agreed that I should get another CT scan of my lungs, abdomen and pelvis.  We scheduled that for Thursday, with a follow-up visit to the doctor on Friday.

Usually I feel pretty good on the day that I receive the chemo treatment as they give me extra nausea medicine and steroids.  However, this Wednesday, I did not feel well when I went to be bed.  I woke up Thursday morning with a severe headache and extreme nausea.  I could not keep the medicine down, and clearly would not have been able to drink the barium required for my CT Scan.  At 6 am, the doctor advised us to go to the emergency room at the hospital.  I went there and they gave me pain medicine and nausea medicine through an IV.  Unfortunately, this combination of medicines directly entering my blood stream caused me to go into a deep sleep.  They were not able to wake me until 8 hours later.  I was admitted to the hospital, but finally released at 8:30 pm.  Overall, it was a difficult and discouraging day.

The only good news for that day is they were able to conduct the CT Scan of my lungs, abdomen and pelvis.  As I was not waking up, they also conducted a CT scan of my brain.  The brain scan showed no tumors.  Also, the scan of my lungs, abdomen and pelvis did not show in new areas of the cancer spreading.  The oncologist found this encouraging, and we agreed to continue with the same basic chemo treatments, with maybe some breaks from one of the chemo drugs that may be causing the severe headaches and nausea.  I am glad for this last modification, as I have become very nervous and frightened taking that full treatment each week.

In addition to these specific challenges, I find it very difficult because I still suffer from the consequences of my prior esophagus and stomach surgery.  Sleep remains a challenge, as I have acid reflux several times during the night.  I am also required to sleep at an incline on my back.  My back gets very sore.  Combining the chemo treatments with these existing pains has been a real challenge.


I recognize that adversity and tribulation are part of this life.  I am grateful for the scripture in 2 Corinthians 1:4, which reminds me that Jesus Christ comforts us in all our tribulations.  I have felt that comfort so many times.  I am grateful that I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love me and provide comfort to me.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Marilynn and Steve, It just seems it is more pain than one person should have to endure. I admire the way you are still determined to do fun things together and get out and enjoy the outdoors. I know you have touched so many lives of more people than you can even imagine-----such as the nurse in the hospital last June-----she was not very kind or compassionate, but you made eye contact with her just

    ReplyDelete
  2. MORE----as her shift was ending, and you sincerely thanked her for helping you. I stood there and thought, "Marilynn is just like mom." You are also a fighter just like our mom was. I am so thankful that you have felt her presence with you at times during the very difficult battle you are fighting. D&C 42:48 says, "Angels can manifest themselves to people of strong FAITH". ---(with permission from God.) I know our Savior is very much aware of you. I am so glad that 2 weeks from today I will be in VA visiting you! Much Love, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that scripture. I was so touched by it. It reads;
    2 Cor 1:4 ""Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." You are doing exactly this...you are strengthening each of us reading your blog as you share what you are facing and then you always share your faith and strength in the "Heavenly" power that is so readily available to each one of us as we face hard things in our lives when we ask in faith. Marilynn and Steve you both are models of serving loving and lifting others in your life together. Know that many many prayers are being offered for you....you are so loved!
    I am so sorry for all you have been going through. Thank you for the update.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilynn, I am so sorry that you are struggling so but just know you are in my thoughts and prayers every day. I only pray that you have some relief from all of your pain. You of all people are so awesome in the sight of God I know that he has a plan for you and you sure are giving hope to anyone who is suffering. Please keep on fighting. Prayers and hugs coming your way. Love you Betty Berney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you. I pray for you and Steve many times a day.
    You are a champion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been praying earnestly for y'all. I know you see the silver lining in life and that that is where hope, faith, and comfort comes as well as through Christ. I pray the nausea will lessen and the drugs will do their job. May you have continued strength and your burdens/pain lightened (for all of you) Hugs coming and love from Russia. Dee and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilynn, Some of this sounds so familiar to me. I too got acid reflux so bad. I still sleep with bed on an incline. Wishing you the best and for a quick recovery. I know it's so very hard. I love that you are doing this blog. I felt so alone during my treatment. I'm sure that sharing will help others ❤️πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete