Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Good Trip to California, Bad Trip to the Emergency Room

On October 7, Steve and I flew to Los Angeles for a trip with our family.  Troy and Katie live in Long Beach.  Brooklyn flew down from Oregon.  Stephanie, Lee and their family joined us.  Stacey came as well.  We went to watch Troy and Katie run a marathon and Stacey run a half marathon.  We rented a house at Sunset Beach.  It was beautiful, but hot.  An unusual heat wave for October enveloped southern California.   The children and grand children had a fantastic time at the beach.  I enjoyed walking along the beach with them.  Steve enjoyed his morning beach runs.  We were glad to be able to cheer for Troy, Katie and Stacey when they ran their races.  They did well even in the sweltering heat.  I felt about the same there as I do at home.  I was very tired, and experienced the usual nausea and headaches.  The plane rides were tolerable.  Overall, I had a wonderful trip, as I was able to spend time with my family.  I did enjoy returning to my air conditioned home on Monday, October 12.


 I had another chemo treatment on Wednesday, October 14.   Working with the doctor, we agreed to eliminate one of the chemo medicines to see if that would reduce my nausea and headaches.  Thursday and Friday went fine, but on Saturday evening, the nausea and headaches returned.  My sister, Yvonne, arrived for a visit on Saturday evening.  I looked forward to spending time with her, but on Sunday I really did not feel well.  I slept most of the day, but finally got up feeling a little better in the late afternoon.  On Monday morning, I still had the nausea and headaches.  I ate breakfast with Yvonne, as Steve had taken the car to be serviced.   At approximately, 11 am he returned home.  Yvonne and I were finishing breakfast and watched TV for a few minutes before we went out for a walk.  I remember Steve saying hello, but not much more as I continued to dose off to sleep.  According to Steve and Yvonne, they took turns sitting next to me for the next few hours.  At about 2:30 pm, Steve saw that I was not responsive.  He said I stopped breathing and was not responding.  He could not find my pulse.  Yvonne hurried into the room.  Steve put me on the floor and began CPR.  He told Yvonne to call 911.  With the 911 operator on the phone, Steve was able to get me breathing again.  The ambulance arrived within 5-10 minutes. (We only live 4 miles from the hospital.)  The paramedics took over from Steve.  Within a short time after arriving at the emergency rooms, my vital signs stabilized.  I stayed in the hospital over night for observation.  They released me to go home on Tuesday afternoon.

            We are still sorting out what happened, but it appears that I had another reaction to the strong medication that I am taking to deal with the severe headaches and abdominal pains.  We met with the oncologist today to discuss the treatment plan going forward.  The next step is to meet with the doctor in their office that specializes in medications.  We are scheduled to see him this Friday, October 23.  They are also taking more labs to see if my liver enzyme levels have declined.  They spiked to more than 10 times normal when this incident occurred.  This issue needs to be addressed to determine how to proceed with the chemotherapy. 




            I am grateful that Steve and Yvonne were present when this all happened.  These incidents create yet another challenge for me in dealing with my cancer.  I continue to appreciate the love from Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  I am so grateful for the prayers and support from my family, friends and so many others.  For example, as we were flying back on the plane from California, Steve sat next to a kind lady who also suffered from serious health issues, and in fact had an incident on the plane.  When she learned of my condition, she asked for my name and said she would include me in her prayers.  I appreciate everyone’s prayers.

8 comments:

  1. Marilynn! SO glad to see you're well enough to put up a post. That was so scary and I'm so sorry! You're in all of our prayers here!!!
    LOVE YOU! Julie Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful that Steve was able to perform CPR and that you live so close to the hospital! We will continue to keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn, you are so couragous. Praying for you and your doctors. Tell Yvonne hello from us.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm so grateful that Steve and Yvonne were both there to help. Your faith continues to be an inspiration to us! You are always in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilynn, all of the wonderful pictures, statues from you and Steve are with me so you are in my thoughts and prayers every single day. I hope to be in VA for Thanksgiving and stay a week or so. I hope you will be able to see me for just 15 to 30 minutes. I love you so much. I just went to an Annointing of the Sick and it was the first one I attended. It was beautiful and even though I only have very small issues and nothing seriously, know you were in my prayers and you are the most awesome woman I know. Your family is so special to me so just keep the faith and I hope things get easier. Love from me to you all. Betty Berney in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a frightening experience! Marilynn, I am so moved by your courage and by Steve's ready response and quick action. I'm sending you hugs, prayers, and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am especially thinking of Marilynn and Steve and each of your wonderful children today! You are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Lord puts people in your life to keep a watch over you Marilyn. So glad Steve and Yvonne were there this time. My prayers continue as I pray for you to have strength, recover, keep the faith, be in less pain, and enjoy your family times, etc. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete