Friday, February 14, 2014

More Good News

Good News!  I finally was able to catch up with my Oncologist and he informed me that I will not have to have chemotherapy.  I am really excited about this and feel very blessed.

Today the surgeon removed the drainage tube (goodbye safety pin) and some more of the staples from my incision.  I had a swallow test and and chest x ray.  Everything looks good.  He thinks that in a week or so I will be able to eat foods that have fat in them.  Overall, he thinks I am recovering very well.

My sister, Yvonne was here for 5 days.  She was such a calming influence and was a lifesaver at night. She was there for back rubs, medicine, and great talks.  I had a great time going on errands with her and walking in the snow.  For those who aren't in the North East, you may have heard about our recent winter storm.  It was huge but made for some lovely sights.







Sleeping is still a huge struggle for me.  The nights are so long and painful.  I'm always grateful to see the morning and especially for my shower.  Best part of my day!

I have had some time to do some reflection.  Before my most recent surgery I had a surgery to install my J tube.  I had complications in my stomach and bowels.  I had to be in the hospital over Christmas and I was so bitter and upset thinking that I had this ugly tube in me that had robbed me of my health and of spending the holidays with my family.

But it was because of this ugly tube that the doctors went ahead and scheduled the surgery ahead of chemotherapy.  It's because of this ugly tube that they were able to get all the cancer in one fell swoop.  It's because of this ugly tube that I won't have to have radiation or chemotherapy.  What a blessing from something that I initially perceived as such a curse to me.  This beautiful tube is now a best friend.

Thanks to everyone who has offered to help with meals for us.  Steve and the others have eaten well through all of this!  I love your cards, and comments on this blog.  Please keep praying for me and know that I pray for you as well.

9 comments:

  1. Marilyn, it is such good news that you don't need chemo or radiation. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry. You are so humble and strong. I distinctly remember touching my tube on my face while looking in the mirror and saying aloud a thank you prayer to God for it. A modern medicine miracle. Your experience is so inspiring to me. I can not imagine all you have been through and continue to work through. Thank you for your inspiration and sharing about your feeding tube. Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for the great news! So happy that you could spend time with your sister! Glad you could enjoy this beautiful snow! Hope the nights will get better, and you will be able to sleep. Thanks for sharing your sweet story about the tube. It is true that often with a little perspective we can see that our dearest prayers are being answered, just differently than we had planned, and in reality much better than we could have orchestrated. You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is wonderful news Nana! So happy to hear it! I am so glad Yvonne was able to take some time to come up and stay with you! She is such a nice lady! How lucky you are to have such a great sister! Stacey is there now with you, right? I bet it's wonderful to have her there as well! We love you and think about you daily! You are such a great inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilynn were are so pleased that you don't have to have chemo and radiation. You are so strong and have done well because of your determination and attitude. You are a strong lady and aren't sisters so special and important. I love my sisters so much and I love my Brother Steve. I know he has been a great support to you just as Dad was to our mother. Love you guys much and will continue to pray for you. Love Sandra and Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a tender mercy to be able to focus on recovering from surgery rather than spending your energy on chemotherapy and radiation. I was touched by your story, and have often thought about the things I may have been spared when I am shaking my fist at the Lord for my struggles. You are proof positive that blessings come in the Lord's own way. We continue to pray for you, Marilynn, every single day. Love, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. so happy you don't need chemo!!!! we love you and are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is interesting. At times we thank God for unanswered prayers. I am grateful for you J tube. It is such a blessing that you do not have to do radiation. We feel your faith and strength. We love you.
    John and Kathleen

    ReplyDelete