Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Feeling Grateful

I'm in a lot of pain right now and I'm having a hard time talking but I want to communicate that I feel like the first step in me feeling better has been all the love and support I have felt from all of your comments on this blog.  I would not be doing this well without your support. Here are a couple of stories about the last few hours.

I got the breathing tube removed at about 4:30am. The nurse was amazed at my resolve in the removal process saying that most people fight it or scream.  After it was out she asked why I didn't fight it. I said "Well it hurt but I knew it had to come out."

My hands were tied down for most of the morning. Steve was holding my hand and while the breathing tube was in I could not talk. My face was itching and I could not scratch it. Through nodding I was able to communicate that I wanted him to scratch that itch and how much I appreciated it. I'm so grateful for him in this process.

It's amazing to me what human touch can do. Steve holding my hand has meant the world to me. It reminds me of Yvonne when Mom was sick that she would insist on rubbing Mom's feet and shoulders and how Yvonne would comment that she thought it was important. Mom would say how good that made her feel. I agree completely.

I'm in the ICU and will be moved to my room in the next couple of hours. I am sucking on ice chips (I'm so thirsty) and working on exercising my lungs by sucking and blowing.  I'm also currently getting by first tube feeding. Nutrition is going to be key in my recovery.

I feel the overwhelming love that Heavenly Father has for me.

12 comments:

  1. I am so relieved to get this update. I have been anxious yet peaceful all morning.
    I loved the story about the breathing tube being removed. It brought a smile to my face because I now how tough you are. The pain is so terrible yet you are so strong. I admire you so much. I love you.
    We are all so thankful for Steve and your wonderful family. What a great example of unity you are.
    My prayers are with you.
    The posts are helping so much. Keep them coming.
    xoxoxo,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep checking the blog for an update I am so grateful. It made me cry. I am at work and just so grateful to hear this. You are so strong and amazing. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful for the updates. Last time I talked to my mom she was so anxious for an update and I can promise you these mean the world to her (Kathleen) and the rest of us too! I love the stories you told and really to believe in the power of touch also. You are strong Marilynn, and an example to us all. Love and prayers from Kyle, Collette and Zak

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update, your strength and courage will be a great example to us all to face our challenges with faith and grace. These words create a sweet image of the two of you facing this challenge together. Our prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Forsyth - Love getting updates! So happy to hear that you are being a tough cookie and impressing all of those nurses! Your stories about you and Mr. Forsyth are so tender and I love them. More positive energy coming your way!

    - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing! You are an example of courage and faith to all us Forsyth girls! Stay strong. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilynn, This blog is such a good way for all of us that love you to keep up with how you are doing. When I talked with you on the phone on Christmas day, I wanted to tell those nurses that you have a very high resistance to pain, so If you tell them you are in pain, they better believe you! I'm happy to know that the night nurses know this about you. You are such a strong, woman with a tenacious spirit. I woke up in the middle of the night last night, knowing the medical personnel would be waking you up and I was praying for you!
    Love, Your sister, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update Marilynn! Thinking of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Julie J

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so impressed that you are able to communicate so soon! Hang tough Marilyn. We love and admire you so much. You and Steve are in our prayers.
    Les and Iona

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is wonderful to have someone you love beside you! The best medicine around! Rest and heal! Jo : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I just posted a comment but then when I came back it is not here...so I am going to try to do it again. Kirk and I so appreciate you writing this blog and we both got so choked up as we read it. Your strength and determination and your sweet honesty is so powerful and uplifting! We are so proud of you and love you so!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a brave, brave soul. After my trachea surgery I was asleep for eight days and the breathing tube was taken out after eleven days. I was having some hallucinations from the medication and could not communicate. It was so frightening. Since I had been asleep so long I could not write either. My sister tried to understand what I was going through and thought that the frustration of not being able to communicate might have been too much for me, so she didn't return for a couple of days. I was so frightened and so lonely.

    I can usually handle pain quite well, but taking out the breathing tube was so extremely painful for me. They had to get up on my bed and had difficulty getting it out. I lost my voice for the year and a half because of the damage to my vocal cord nerve from the breathing tube. I am so grateful that you were able to be strong during the removal.

    There is indeed nothing like the human touch and it is truly needed more than anytime when you are hurting or sick. I have always told John when I am down, "All I need is for you to hold my hand."

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete