Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Walking Now

I walked four different times yesterday. I worked my way up from a couple of steps to two full laps around the wing on the fourth time. I'm in my own room now. It is room 262. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a bed for Steve. The poor guy is sleeping in a chair; injured back back and all!  ***Update:  Our dear friend, Bishop Burton was able to get us a much better room at the end of the hall that will be bigger and MUCH quieter. He has been such an asset through all of this!

I got flowers from Steve's brothers and sisters and from my brothers and sisters. They are beautiful and their smell brightens up my room.  Thank you so much!




I didn't sleep well last night. I only got about 3 1/2 hours. I did a swallow test early this morning. The doctors needed to make sure that my new esopgagus works. I had to swallow some contrast. I was very concerned about doing this because I haven't been eating anything by mouth. There was a misunderstanding and I thought I had to drink 32 ounces of contrast. I was crying because I didn't think I could do so. In reality I only had to drink four swallows of the contrast. The doctors were encouraged by what they saw but my surgeons need to look at the test.

I was able to wash my hair with the help of the nurse. This felt so good to me. Troy blow dried my hair and the warm air felt very good to me.  I put a lot of spiritual music on my iPod and it has been good to play it (she seriously had us drag a Bose speaker in here so she could blast Hillary Weeks and the Tabernacle Choir).  Thanks for all your support.

8 comments:

  1. The updates are encouraging! Each day I wait to read them! Steve you're amazing too! All that good mom and dad upbringing!!��. And Marilynn you are incredible! Your will to progress each day and work at it is inspiring. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to get these updates each day. You are making really good progress. Most people can only walk a little bit this soon after surgery! I loved seeing the pictures you have in your room------A picture of Christ as well as your family. I hope you feel enveloped in and surrounded by love.

    Love, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful for these updates as I look often to see them. Love you and are proud of your progress, you are strong and determined which will help. Positive attitudes are helpful in your progress. Wish I was there to give some of my nursing touches but know Steve can do that. Love Sandra and Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mare-Mare,
    What an inspiration you are to all of us! One step at a time. You got this!

    Love Lee and Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! Thanks for the update. Love hearing about the laps... progress!!!! Way to go! You are certainly loved and your great strength is really shining. There are so many cheering you on. How sweet that your dear family is able to take such great care of you. Continued prayers and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn - we are so excited to hear about your progress! You are amazing and have proved time and time again that "you can do hard things". Thanks for the updates! We would love to come visit when you are up for company. Prayers are still being said for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should have read all of your posts before giving you suggestions. So glad that you are able to be up and around. It always helped me to feel a little better.

    Oh those swallow tests....Funny thing is, I did better with them in the hospital and shortly after surgery than I have recently. I am allergic to contrast dye so I still have to do my tests with the liquid. I had one just a few weeks ago and ended up sick for a couple of days. Medical stuff can be such a headache! Keep on keeping on.. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear Marilynn,
    Thank you so much for inviting us into this dreadful yet such an inspiring adversity you are facing. I am so very proud of you and I am so touched by your honesty and your determination. I could visualize Steve sitting by the side of your bed holding your hand...you are a "grand" couple. I love you. Tammy.

    ReplyDelete