Friday, January 24, 2014

Pain and Progress

Last night was really hard for me. I was in a lot of pain but was reluctant to take pain medicine because I'm concerned about its effect on my stomach. I finally gave in about 3:00 AM and took pain medicine and was able to sleep a little bit. I also had a very painful coughing fit. It lasted about a minute and ended with me coughing up some phlegm which scared me but my surgeon said that was actually a good thing.

On a more positive note, I got the tube out of my nose this morning. It feels so good to have it out. I think that as each of these things comes out of me I'm going to feel a little bit more like myself.  

I'm getting a reputation around here as the lady who walks a lot. I like to try to walk a little bit longer each time than I did the last time. Yesterday I walked about 7 times for over 20 minutes each time.  I even brought my running shoes so I can lace them up and take this seriously!  

Another good thing is that (finally) ground is being broken on our new house today. It's been a long process to plan and get all the permits. It's nice to know that they are starting work on it. 

I'm in a lot of pain today. I am using the pain medicine which helps some.  I was also able to take a liquid medicine by mouth: the first thing I've eaten or drank since the surgery. It's stayed down so it looks like my surgeons knew what they were doing!  

So you can see the progress I'm making I am going to post a picture of me after my surgery on Monday:

Here I am today:

I can't read much because the pain medicine makes my mind fuzzy. I would LOVE it if any of you would pass on any inspirational quotes in the comments. Thanks so much for your kind words yesterday. I'm often brought to tears reading your supportive words at this difficult time. 

6 comments:

  1. Dear Marilynn,
    I think you look wonderful and so positive in your latest picture. You have come a long way since last Monday.
    I was so impressed reading the comments by John and Julie. They were in a position where they could give such good advice after all they have been through.
    My quote is from President Boyd K Packer. IT comes from his talk, "The Key to Spiritual Protection". He talks of the importance of reading scriptures. (In your case listening to someone read scriptures to you.) He advises to open the scriptures and begin to read. His quote, "Soon the feeling of peace and inspiration will come."
    Love, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the world says, "Give up,"
    Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Marilylnn, you look so beautiful in your picture. We have been praying for you and fasting for you. We want you to know that we are standing with you at this time. Pouring out buckets of love & prayers,
    Love, Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madelyne writing:
    Hi nana! I'm sorry about your surgery.:(. But i'm glad you're getting better! By the way, did you know we got a dog?:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing from you everyday. I cannot come up with any good quotes right now but I promise it will be worth the wait and I will send some your way!
    I am so proud of you! Tall Maddie I think her dog is pretty darn cute!
    I love you
    Tams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn greatfull for your progress. Keep up your determination to get better. Life gives us brick walls. I heard a quote once that said we will all have brick walls. Object is to not just stand there go around or over the top. Our hopes for you are over the top. Keep up the good work you have our love and support. Sandra and Terry

    ReplyDelete