Monday, January 27, 2014

Tubeless

I had a rough night last night. I wasn't able to get my pain medicine until after midnight so I was in so much pain I was not able to fall asleep. It was a frustrating night for both me and Steve and we are both tired today.

This morning I was in a lot of pain and was wanting to manage my pain with medicine but I needed to wait until the surgeon came to speak with us because the medicine makes me very tired.  I had to wait about an hour until he came with a sharp pain in the top of my shoulder.  I put three pictures at the foot of my bed to remind me who loves me.


Steve put spiritual music on in the room and held my hand until the surgeon came. I have had a hard time connecting with this surgeon because he is a more stern man and when he came in he was very kind and asked about the family. I was happy to feel this soft spot in him.

The resident came to take out the chest tubes this morning. She told Steve how to hold me and I wrapped my arms around him. I had to hold him and hum. She pulled them out one at a time. It was a bizarre feeling to have them removed as I could feel the ripples of the tubes as they came out. They looked like a white tube inserted eight inches in my back. The nurses liken them to garden hoses.  It's been so nice today because the pain has been reduced and I no longer have to worry about carrying around the drainage containers.


The doctor thinks I will probably get to go home tomorrow.  That's such exciting news.  It has been so much easier to walk without the chest tubes. Things are really looking up!

11 comments:

  1. Thinking about you today. One week behind you! And you are amazing. I read this quote: "As we suffer we learn, and as time heals we can reach for a brighter day." You do have brighter days ahead. Do hope you get home tomorrow. Better days ahead for both if you! Much love. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great news that you are headed home soon!!! You are looking so good and handling the pain so well. It is sweet to hear of the relief has come to you from the love you have for your family and the Savior. Thank you for posting on this blog, it is a blessing to all who read it. May you continue to feel strengthened each day! Our prayers are with you! Love, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. There simply isn't enough room at the foot of your bed for the pictures of everyone who loves you. So happy you are tubeless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear of your good progress. I"ll bet it was a relief to get those garden hoses out. Steve was good to hear from you and you need to take care of your self also as you are such a good support to Marilynn and we can see how much she appreciates your support and love. Glad to hear you are soon ready for home. Hang in there Marilynn and know we love you and pray for you. Sandra and Terry

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a relief to get those tubes out. But I can't imagine how painful it was to have to sit through that procedure of getting them out.
    You sure look cute though! I do agree with the person who said, "Their simply isn't enough room at the foot of your bed for the pictures of everyone who loves you."
    Steve, thank you so very much for being such an amazing husband for my incredible sister!
    Love, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better put add photos of me, David and my kids at the end of that bed! Keep getting better! I hope you're sleeping soundly tonight without those horrid tubes. :)
    “To any who may be struggling to see that light and find that hope, I say: Hold on. Keep trying. God loves you. Things will improve. Christ comes to you in His ‘more excellent ministry’ with a future of ‘better promises.’ He is your ‘high priest of good things to come.’ ”

    —Jeffrey R. Holland, "An High Priest of Good Things to Come," Ensign, Nov. 1999, 36

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nana,

    Its amazing how I can feel your personality just through reading your blog posts! You may very well be the strongest woman I know and I am so thankful that B has you to look up to as a wonderful role model since she cannot have my own mother! I was so excited when Troy told us you may come home tomorrow! I know that will be such a relief for you to be in your own home! We love you and you are in our prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We continue to prayHope the pain continues to subside and that you can come home soon!! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom just told me about your blog last night. I am happy to hear you may be going home today. This is a scripture I have on my desk at school. I bet you know it as it was the Young Women's theme a few years ago.
    "Be strong and of good courage, be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed. The Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9
    It is something it helps me to remember each day. Thank you for your example of love and courage Aunt Marilynn. Love you, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aunt Marilynn, My mom has done a great job keeping me updated. I just want you to know that you, Steve and the whole family are in my prayers daily. I was overwhelmed when I heard about how well the surgery went. :) I am so grateful for the dinners we had together two summers ago when I worked there in DC. It was so sweet to be in your loving home and spend time with you and Steve. ~Love Travis

    ReplyDelete